The following are the minutes from the Clinton Hill/Fort Greene co-op’s first open meeting:
Clinton Hill/Fort Greene Co-op Committee
Meeting Minutes: Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Lafayette Avenue Presbyterian Church
Present: DK Holland, Kathryn Zarczynski
Others Present: Tisch James, Meredith Almeida
- Meeting called to order by DK at 7:10. Group was assembled in a semi-circle. Approx 45 neighbors in attendance.
- Discussion of two co-op types: Working and Dues Paying. A poll reflected most members wanted a working coop yet a few wanted a due paying. Some attendees wondered if a hybrid approach would be possible. There was a discussion of the two options. DK stated that the Park Slope food co-op would only be able to assist if the new co-op declared itself committed to becoming a working co-op since that’s what they are.
- General census of which kind of kind of co-op people are most interested in starting.
Consensus is with working co-op.
- Presentation of price comparison between Park Slope Food Co-op prices and Fresh Direct prices showed costs were about 50% higher with Fresh Direct. DK stated that the Park Slope Food Co-op only marked up items 20%, meaning that Fresh Direct may mark up items as much as 70%.
- Discussion of what we will need going forward: Membership growth, capital and other funding, physical location and a lease.
- Discussion of timeline. It was agreed we would aim for a year at the latest.
- 8 p.m., DK moved that the group split into subcommittees, with each subcommittee having at least 2 current members from the Park Slope Food Coop so they could inform the others of how PSFC works.
- The group divided into three subcommittees: Outreach/Membership, Business/Finance, Location/Lease
- Scheduled next meeting for 7 p.m. on Feb. 6 (date was later changed to Feb. 7) with reported anticipated from each group.
Minutes submitted by Scott Lamb